Happy Donut Day 2015!!!!!!!!


Who has the BEST donut in St. Louis?

We have an answer... well, kind of.

The judges did a swell job today, but I still think this question is too tough to nail down an official answer. 

Do you like classic donuts? Or fancy, specialty donuts? Do you want them fresh and hot? Cake donut or yeast donut? What about fritters? See?!

If I were held at gunpoint and forced to say my absolute favorite donut, I would probably go with Federhofer's Chocolate Long John, and it is either because I was raised eating them or maybe they're just that good. A few Affton pals that may agree with me.

I had a lovely morning at Jazz at the Bistro's National Donut Day competition! Unfortunately I did not get to try all the donuts, since I was somehow not selected to be a judge (hint hint ahrrmmmm ;)).

Nevertheless, I did enjoy several donuts from various bakeries in STL. There were 15 present for the competition, Oberweis milk, and Mississippi Mud Coffee. I liked the system quite a lot- they gave you 2 tickets for donuts and you choose from various places. Perfect venue & perfect amount of people.


Andrea, my co-donuteer, tried a Lubely's Vanilla Cruller and Chocolate Long John from World's Fair Donuts. If presentation was a category for judging, these might rate negative on the scale.


Although her Vanilla Cruller fell apart from the start, she said it was "maybe the best donut she ever had". I had these same donuts at my wedding and must agree. I got a Chocolate Cruller from Lubely's, which as many of you know, is a favorite of mine. My second doughnut was a Chocolate Long John from O'Fashion Donuts.

The winners of the competition were:

3rd Place: Vincent Van Doughnut (Clayton & Food Truck)
2nd Place: Pharaoh's Doughnuts (Downtown)
1st Place: John Donut (Soulard)

I was informed that this event began by simply wanting an answer- Who has the best donut in St. Louis? It began by having everyone bring their favorite donuts into work and the employees would taste-test and has evolved into an event to show off the lovely space of Jazz at the Bistro and hold a formal competition, complete with 15 judges that anonymously judge each donut.

Congrats, John Donut. I think you're super too! [Get it, SUPER? Because they've got so much SUPERMAN memorabilia?!]

Only 363 days until the next Donut Day!
I hope you had a wonderful Donut Day full of sprinkles and merriment and sugar highs. Now I suggest you go for a jog, walk the dog, & do an extra pull up or two to prepare for next year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fried Croissant or Fried Danish Cruller?

Clayton Bakery - Now Bello's Bakery - On Manchester Rd

Travel Edition - Pikes Peak "World Famous Donuts" at 14,000 ft