Vincent Van Doughnut @ Food Truck Friday & Straubs

I've been trying to find Clyde the Van for a while now and finally saw via the Twitter that they would be at Food Truck Friday in Tower Grove Park, so I high-tailed it over there and thankfully got there before they sold out. You can't dilly-dally if you want fancy doughnuts.
I found Clyde!
We got two cake doughnuts- a Salted Carmel Chocolate and French Toast. They are very large! I am more of a regular yeast doughnut kind of gal, but the cake dough was quite good. The French Toast was sticky with syrup and had crumbly bits on top. I loved the chocolate icing on the Salted Carmel. Oh, and the salt. I loved that too. This one is a great choice for sweet & salty fans.

In the future, I'd probably stick with yeast doughnuts. I've been told VVD's yeast doughnuts are heavy yeast, which makes them fall kind of in the middle of a cake and yeast doughnut. Cakes are usually dry for me, especially if I don't have access to an enormous glass of milk.
A few weeks back, Mike & I went to Straubs on a weekend day and got a Rumchata doughnut. Mike had strong positive feelings about this doughnut. In other words, he wan't keen on sharing.
Rumchata

To me, these are special occasion doughnuts. They're gourmet, giant, and lovely! Look at that perfect drizzle composition! For the average person that can't afford to shop at grocery stores like Straubs, though, they're pricey ($2.50-$4). I'd love to try more flavors, but I'll have to save up. What if they made mini versions so I could have a variety?! Like mini Long Johns? Short Johns? Maybe large doughnut holes?

This is a world in which I'd like to live.

These are from Scientist McGee @ Straubs. He says "I love me some VVD's! Pricey but filling : )"

Food Truck Friday is a great event, so go splurge on a fancy doughnut and enjoy the STL summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fried Croissant or Fried Danish Cruller?

Clayton Bakery - Now Bello's Bakery - On Manchester Rd

Travel Edition - Pikes Peak "World Famous Donuts" at 14,000 ft