Travel Edition - Stan's Donuts in Chicago

My dad lives in Chicago and as genetics would have it, also loves a good donut!

We stopped by Stan's Donuts after eating an insane amount of Polish food. I really wish I had been more hungry and could've tried more donuts, because they had lots of fun varieties that sounded good.

Donuts I thought about ordering included:

Pistachio
Captain Crunch Bismark
Glazed Pretzel
Biscoff Pocket
Boston Cream
Coconut Cream

So as you can see, there were lots of options. My big complaint is that I didn't have time to see all my options before ordering.

You see, the line is set up backwards. You go through the line with a bunch of people standing in front of the donuts and then you're IMMEDIATELY expected to know your order. I even had a snarky comment made from the guy behind the counter - he said something like "I can help whoever knows their order" - and he said it like he was frustrated with me staring at the 5 trillion options.

Hard to see here, but the line has 2 layers and it's impossible to make an educated decision under this type of pressure!
Okay so that was my only real issue with this place. Bottom LINE (get it? hah!): The line should go past the donuts and THEN you should order.


I ended up choosing in a panic the Chocolate Buttermilk Bar (thinking, What is that?!) and Michael got a Nutella Pocket. Dad got a Raspberry Bismark and Adrienne got a Glazed Old Fashion.

I didn't get to try Dad's (kinda greedy, Dad - I'm your only offspring, ya know), but the rest were all pretty good. My Chocolate Buttermilk Bar was very dense and delicious. like a chocolate long john but way heavier, cakey, buttermilk dough. I saved half for the next morning and dunked it in coffee that I poured in a bowl. This was my dad's suggestion. Thanks, Dad.

Michael's Nutella Pocket was really full of Nutella. They don't mess around. Too much for my liking, but Michael seemed happy. 

I'd love to know of an STL shop that has a comparable Chocolate Buttermilk Bar. Please tell me if you know of one!

There are several locations and truthfully, idk which one I was in. So here is their website and you can find a Stan's next time you're in The Windy City!

stansdonutschicago.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fried Croissant or Fried Danish Cruller?

Travel Edition - Pikes Peak "World Famous Donuts" at 14,000 ft

Clayton Bakery - Now Bello's Bakery - On Manchester Rd