Donut Drive-In



Donut Drive-In is seldom forgotten when STL's donut scene is discussed. And for good reason. 

Sandwiched between tourist attractions like Ted Drewe's and Gooey Louie, Donut Drive-In is a Route-66 essential stop.

Loyal patrons & South City residents have been super friendly to me. Once, when I forgot the cash only rule*, a nice gentlemen bought my donuts. And last night, while deliberating donut choices, the nice employee gave me a fresh Apple Fritter. 



















Despite my coaxing for variety, Mike and Randy each bought an Apple Fritter. 
I'm told there are 2 bakers and patrons have preferences on whose Fritters are better. I went on a Thursday night (9:30pm) and had a fresh one. Mike said it was, "like there's pie in my donut" and Randy mused that "the inside was airy" and it had "the right amount of crunch". 

"I got everything I wanted from that," noted Randy. 

I got a Chocolate Cake w/ Chocolate Icing and a Blueberry Cake. I have to be in the right mood for that much chocolate, but last night it was right up my alley. Perfect consistency and ultimately chocolatey.

The Blueberry Cake was not as intensely flavorful and felt more breakfasty. Still delicious, but lighter. Mike said it was like a blueberry muffin with melted butter on top. 

Randy enjoyed a chocolate iced French Cruller (one of my favorites!), also available glazed and vanilla iced, which I'm told is one of the most popular choices at the Drive-In. 
Driving In!
Kudos for having an informative bag, with a map.

Verdict: Really great. Hours are wonky & cash is dumb, but these are quality donuts. Best cake donut so far.


Randy requested this caption say
"The catacombs of the French Cruller". Ominous.
*They're CASH ONLY!!!!
I forget every time. But seriously? Let's get with it. Who carries cash these days?






6525 Chippewa St
Saint LouisMO 63109
(314) 645-7714

M: 5am-2pm
Tu: 5am-9pm
W: 5am-10pm
Th: 5am-10pm
F: 5am-11:59pm
S: 5am-11:59pm
Su: 5am-2pm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fried Croissant or Fried Danish Cruller?

Clayton Bakery - Now Bello's Bakery - On Manchester Rd

Travel Edition - Pikes Peak "World Famous Donuts" at 14,000 ft