Ray's Donuts


I'm sick for the 4th time this season. Woe is me. But in transit to the doctor's office, I spot this:

Grand Opening! Wahoo!

Ray's Donuts has 2 location- Brentwood and Olive. The cashier tells me they want to open 2 more locations in Kirkwood and the Central West End. 

The donuts are not baked in the store. They have a separate baking facility from which the donuts are delivered each morning around 4:30am.  

I got an Old Fashioned Sour Cream, Maple Long John, Chocolate Iced Old Fashioned, and Buttermilk.

My favorite was the Old Fashioned Sour Cream, because it is small and simple. All of the donuts at Ray's are extremely sugary. The chocolate and maple icings were too sugary for my taste. I enjoyed them, but couldn't finish a whole donut in fear of a sugar coma. The Buttermilk is heavy and reminded me of gooey butter cake. It tastes great, but again, I could only handle 3 bites.

Mike struggled to eat his half of the long john. These long johns are intimidatingly large. He did note, however, that the Maple icing combines his love of pancakes and donuts. So keep this in mind, pancake lovers. 

The sugar made things get weird.
spacious!
Ray's on Olive is very dine-in friendly and if I hadn't been sick, I would have stayed. 

If you've seen signs or remember LaMar's Donuts, Ray's used to be LaMar's. I know, it's confusing. Especially this: his name was Ray LaMar. LaMar's was a chain, but apparently now, at least in the STL area, the Ray's name is taking over.

My verdict: too sugary for me. Decide for yourselves, though. Maybe your sugar tolerance is higher than mine. Maybe I'm a sugar wimp. If I went back, I'd go for cake donuts, preferably unglazed.

9614 Olive Blvd
Saint LouisMO 63132

2542 S Brentwood Blvd
BrentwoodMO 63144



Hours
Mon 5:30-12
Tuesday-Friday 5:30-2
Saturday-Sunday 7-2









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fried Croissant or Fried Danish Cruller?

Clayton Bakery - Now Bello's Bakery - On Manchester Rd

Travel Edition - Pikes Peak "World Famous Donuts" at 14,000 ft